Before you jump into a relationship make sure you’re jumping into the right relationship!
I’ll use my own story to illustrate. I’ve had many relationships in my life however none of them lasted very long. Looking back, I’d use the term ‘serial dater’ to describe myself. I never thoughtfully started relationships or asked myself questions like, “Am I ready to start a relationship? What have I learned from my last relationship? or, Why can’t I meet the right person for me?” Instead I went blindly into relationships based on physical attraction and little else. I seemed inexplicably drawn to ‘bad boys.’
I always seemed to be in the middle of another dating drama and complained to friends about how my boyfriend wasn’t as attentive as he was when we started dating. It wasn’t until I took a respite from dating and tuned into myself that I finally met my husband, David.
These five steps helped me meet ‘Mr. Right’
- I let go of resentments and anger that I had been carrying in my psyche for years. I realized how many resentments I felt towards my parents, from former boyfriends and most importantly, resentments I had towards myself.
- I thoughtfully wrote down my life vision and my listed my values. I realized that in the past I lost myself in relationships and meshed into whatever my boyfriend’s values and vision were.
- I balanced my life. I created a career I loved, forged a loving spiritual connection, surrounded myself with supportive friends and took care of my body. I sought emotional support from therapists and other professionals.
- I started getting out more and trying new things. Even though I sometimes felt socially awkward, I was able to manage the fears I had and muster the courage to put myself in new situations.
- I became more patient. I took a year off from dating and focused on creating a happy life for me. I connected with friends, a strong spiritual network, and stayed creative artistically. My life flourished and I actually didn’t feel a pull to date. My husband David and I knew each other for a couple years before we started dating. Both of us were in relationships at the time we met each other so we become friends over time which created a strong foundation for a love relationship.
Conclusion: Do you want to ensure that your next relationship is the right relationship? If you want to find out more about how to build a great relationship with someone that’s right for you please contact me at 512-922-4822 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Don’t keep doing what doesn’t work, find out what works instead!